In order to obtain a concealed weapons permit, you must first obtain and complete the La Plata County Sheriff's Office Concealed Weapons Permit Application from the Forms section of this page.
Upon application, you must present:
- A valid picture ID, such as a driver's license, military ID, or passport,
- Proof of training,
- Give a fingerprint sample (initial applications only), and
- Include Processing fees:
- Initial Application Fees
- A money order in the amount of $52.50 made out to CBI
- A $60 fee payable to the Sheriff's Office
- Renewal Application Fees
- A money order in the amount of $13.00 made out to CBI
- A $30 renewal fee payable to the Sheriff's Office
These fees are non-refundable regardless of whether your application is approved or denied.
Initial applications are accepted on Wednesday only between 9-11 a.m. or 1-3:30 p.m. due to the fingerprinting requirement. There will be staff available to take fingerprints.
Renewal applications my be dropped off Monday-Friday during regular business hours because fingerprints are already on file and do not need to be repeated.
The Sheriff's Office conducts a detailed investigation of your criminal and general background. The Sheriff’s Office will notify you when final status has been reached on your application and you will receive your permit by mail.
The permit is good for 5 years, and it will automatically expire unless renewed. A renewal fee is required and a background inquiry will again be done.
For more information, or to apply for a permit, contact the La Plata County Sheriff's Office main offices, located at 742 Turner Dr., between 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, or call 970-247-1157.